Friday, September 7, 2018

My journey into painting - Part 1



I wrote an article for a local art journal about my journey into art. I am translating it and will post it in several parts. Today‘s painting: Photonics West, 60 cm x 60 cm, oil.

My journey into painting - Part 1
My journey into art is rather unusual and has started pretty late. In January 2010 I was in San Francisco participating the Photonics West, one of the largest scientific conferences in the area of optics. Back then I was a physicist, employed as  senior researcher at the University of Zurich, working on optical methods for the life sciences. It was already late in the evening and strolled alone through downtown streets. My eyes and mind weren‘t really open, because I mentally reviewed my conference presentation for the next day. Not far away from my hotel, I passed the windows of a small art gallery. I stopped spellbound. For about 2 hours I stared at those paintings. Pictures of the Californian coast, citiscapes of SF, small still lifes, one better than the other. I had never seen anything like it before, not nearly as beautiful. How wonderful must life be, being able to create something like that? Those paintings were done in oil with the alla prima technique, but that night I didn‘t know anything about all that. I had no idea that my life was going to take a huge turn.  Eventually it became too cold and i returned into my hotel, my world as scientist and gave my talk the next morning.

No comments: