Friday, September 7, 2018

My journey into painting - Part 3



My journey into painting - Part 3

My decision to start painting full time came much to a surprise for my family and friends. Here and there, shock is the better word. I think my psychologist was rather surprised too. But who knows? His talent to disguise what he thinks probably gave him the job. His credo: „Ruckstuhl, something is moving there, great! You know it but let me tell you anyway... for most people who change a lot, a lot will change. Things like friends disappearing or families breaking up.“ I think it was the only time I really objected him. I did not believe this could happen to me. I couldn‘t even imagine. We agreed on a „let‘s just see“
In June 2012 I bought my first set of oil paints and signed into the Virtual Art Academy (VAA), a four year online program by Barry John Raybould. Due to prior work experience I was well aware of the importance of good learning material and the VAA is outstanding. However, I did not go the conventional path by jumping into the workshops. Instead, I bought all the complete VAA package (500$ back in 2012) and read it all. This took me about a month. Within the following months I read everything again, marked important  sections and read those several times. Of course I was not able to understand all and memorize much of what I read. But by just reading about a new field in all aspects, even some more advanced, the brain in a miraculous fashion gets a rough idea where all the following work will be heading. I wish I had known at the age of 20 that overview must be king and makes all the hard work that needs to follow so much more effective and fun.

I always love to do some VirtualArtAcademy.com advertising just like any student who is thankful for the education received. Although i have never been at any art school build from concrete, I do not consider myself an autodidact. I am a VAA student.

No comments: